Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence, is a condition affecting men characterised by the inability to get and maintain an erection.
ED is a relatively common condition, particularly in older men.
What Causes ED in Males?
The mechanism behind an erection involves nerve signals sent from the brain to the penis, which in turn increases blood flow to this region causing the penial tissue to expand and harden. Any factor that affects nerve transmission and blood flow to the penis can reduce the ability of the penis to stay erect, contributing to erectile dysfunction.
This means there are a wide range of causes of Erectile Dysfunction, including:
- Conditions affecting blood flow to the penis e.g. cardiovascular disease
- Conditions affecting nerve transmission to the penis e.g. Parkinson’s Disease
- Conditions affecting hormone levels e.g. thyroid disease
- Conditions affecting structure of the penis
- Decreased Libido
- Lack of exercise and obesity, smoking, high cholesterol and excessive alcohol
Treatment for ED
Although there are no set ED cures for everyone, this condition can be treated in multiple ways.
Erectile dysfunction can be managed through various means, including lifestyle changes such as weight loss, increased exercise and stop smoking all of which can increase the ability to get harder erections.
ED Treatments Include:
- Viagra – commonly known as the “blue pill’
- Sildenafil citrate – which is the generic form of Viagra
- Levitra – which contains the active ingredient Vardenafil and is also available in an oro-dispersible form
- Cialis – which contains the active ingredient Tadalafil, which is available as a daily and use as required tablet
- Spedra – which contains the active ingredient Avanafil, and is a fairly new product on the market
- Vitaros – which contains the active ingredient Alprostadil and is applied locally as a cream