Excessive Facial Hair Treatments
What is Excessive Facial Hair?
Excessive facial hair (EFH) is a problem that affects up to 40% of women at some point in their lives.
Hirsutism is a condition characterised by excessive hair growth in the ‘androgen dependant areas’ of the body, these include the face, stomach, back and chest. This condition may be accompanied by acne in some cases.
This condition may be extremely distressing for some individuals and can affect their confidence and may even lead to depression.
What causes Excessive Facial Hair?
Excessive and Unwanted Facial Hair may develop due to a number of reasons including:
- Genetic Predisposition (this condition may be hereditary)
- Side-effects of certain medications such as Steroids, Phenytoin & Progestative Implant
- Hormonal Imbalance associated with other conditions such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Menopause & Obesity
- Hirsutism in women is caused by excessive production of male hormones called androgens.
As with all conditions it is important to establish the underlying cause of Excessive Facial Hair or hirsutism to optimise treatment.
What treatments are there for Exessive Facial Hair?
Although there is no cure for unwanted facial hair there are various routes of controlling the symptoms of this condition.
These treatments are done by the patient themselves or by a beautician. They include a number of hair-removal methods such as:
- Waxing / Threading
- Use of Hair Removal Creams such as Veet
In mild cases this may be the only treatment required to control symptoms. However, these are usually short-term solutions, which may be irritate skin or be uncomfortable.
Professional treatments such as Laser hair removal or Electrolysis may be used in for some patients. Both treatments work by damaging hair follicles and may be dangerous if not performed correctly. In addition these treatments may be quite expensive to use to a regular basis.
There are several options to pick from which offer effective results:
- Eflornithine (Vaniqa): a cream that may be used to treat Excessive Facial Hair
- Metformin: may be used when Hirsutism is associated with PCOS
- Contraceptive Pills including Dianette & Yasmin: may be used to control symptoms of Hirsutism